Workshops & BoFs/2011/SSDP as a system service
| This is a proposed workshop for the DesktopSummit 2011 |
SSDP as a system service.
Currently GUPnP (and other UPnP frameworks) implement Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) as part of the library/framework. Implementing it as separate system-wide service can bring about the following advantages:
- Significant reduction in network traffic.
- Faster discovery of services for SSDP/UPnP client UIs.
- On demand start-up of SSDP/UPnP services.
With Cagibi (read this introduction for background) there exists a first version of a prototype for that, but currently lacks integration with any UPnP toolkit, is only used directly via the D-Bus interface by the KDE music player Amarok and the KDE network:/ kio-slave. And the author would be glad to have someone else do the final implementation :)
- Zeeshan Ali (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Friedrich W. H. Kossebau (email@example.com)
Expected number of participants
- Name of participant